9.20.2010

Cozy Meatless Monday: Chocolate!

The weather in Southern California has quickly turned Autumnal (at least before noon...) so the other day I decided to whip up some cookies.  Now, I might have mentioned this before, but I don't have much of a sweet-tooth, but occasionally I'm in the mood for a rich, complex, and 'healthy-feeling' cookie and lucky for me I have just the fix.



Not-Just-Chocolate-Chip Cookies have become my favorite type of cookies to make.  That's not their official name, but I wasn't sure what to call them since they're so much more than choc. chip cookies! I got the idea from a talented local chef who brought similar cookies to a class. Basically, you start with your plain c.c.c. batter and you just throw more things in there.  My staples are shredded coconut, walnuts and sometimes grated orange peel.  The other day I also threw in homemade almond meal.  The result is utterly delicious, and mostly nutritious (you're getting some serving of some important stuff, right? better than a store-bought one anyway!).

I used the recipe in The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Godreau, with a touch less of flour in order to get the right consistency due to the added awesomeness. They were soft and crumbly but not chewy, and the flax seed (used instead of eggs or egg replacer) gave it that 'healthy' touch I find really comforting :)

If you're looking for a vegan recipe you needn't look further than your search engine (but you should really get Colleen's book--it's amazing!)

Happy last "Summer" Monday--Autumn is but a day away! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment