9.23.2010

Bust out the Cinnamon: It's Autumn!

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere Autumn has officially begun and what better way to bring it into our homes than with food?!

I'm looking forward to various varieties of winter squash, pomegranates, and all things spiced! Up until a few years ago I could only eat cinnamon once a year in the form of a cinnamon roll, but now I love adding it to mexican inspired meals (like the potato and soyrizo tacos from last night) and, of course, HORCHATA! Yum!

Almond Rice Horchata from http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com

This drink is popular in Mexico, but to my surprise it's actually a Spanish creation--from Valencia, specifically. (For those of you that read Spanish: you can find the story here)

You can make it with 4 basic ingredients, or you can get sophisticated and add many other delectable nuts and spices to truly indulge in the flavors of the season.

I soaked 3/4 cup of rinsed white rice in 4 cups of filtered drinking water overnight in the refrigerator. The next day, I just threw the rice and soaking water in a blender with some cinnamon and agave nectar for sweetness and blended until smooth.  There will be some solids in the mix, so I simply strained the drink through a nut milk bag (I'm going to try making cookies or cupcakes with the leftover rice and cinnamon from this step).  Horchata is best when ice cold, so place it in the fridge for a few hours and then enjoy!

Some additions could include: star anise, cloves, almonds, vanilla. Go crazy folks, it's fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment