7.05.2010

What I did with left over steamed white rice...

Rice Pudding!! Normally, when making rice pudding, the rice needs to be cooked in the milk, but since we had some left over rice from the night before and it needed to be used, I decided to change the recipe a bit. First I took the rice and soaked it in almond milk for about 2 hrs. Before adding the rice to the milk, I added some ingredients to spice up and give flavor to the mix (cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, vanilla extract). After soaking, I transferred the mix into a sauce pan/pot and cooked it on low for about 1/2 hr, stirring most of the time. As the milk started to evaporate, I added more milk so keep a creamy consistency. Once it was done, we served it warm along with some raisins and coconut ice cream....delicioso!

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked steamed rice
+2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. nutmeg
1/4 raisins
3 tsp. vanilla extract
orange/lemon zest optional but highly recommended

1 comment:

  1. Almond milk sounds even more delicious than ordinary milk. The recipe will probabaly come out good with coconut milk too.

    However I am not a Vegan but more of a lovegan( more about that in my blog at http://someitemshave.blogspot.com) and therefore add sliced almonds and grated coconut to a rice pudding cooked in milk

    ReplyDelete