6.28.2010

I'm stickin' with you, Tempeh

Have you tried tempeh yet?
It's a wonderful Indonesian product made from fermented whole soybeans, and packed with fiber, protein and digestive enzymes.Thanks to the global economy, it's very easy to find tempeh at your local (healthy) grocer.

For a while I've only prepared tempeh in curries since its a great replacement for meat because of its interesting texture.  But recently I've been extremely lazy in the kitchen (gasp) and I thought I'd try simply baking tempeh and seeing how it goes.  Much to my pleasant surprise I got this soy delight to resemble fish sticks which was one of my favorite junk foods as a kid. I think it's a combination of the shape, the crunch and the dipping sauce that make tempeh sticks a new favorite vegan go-to dinner.

Simply cut the tempeh into 1/2 inch strips (the short way) and then cut those segments in half (the long way) so that you're left with sticks approximately 3 inches long and 1/2 wide.  I then throw them onto a greased baking sheet with a little salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes at 375F.

For dipping, you can call on traditional American ketchup, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, miso dressing, etc, whatever you prefer! What I like about this is that you can make tempeh sticks to accompany a variety of meals by simply pairing them with the appropriate dipping sauce.

It's the best vegan finger food I can make in 15 minutes and it satisfies my craving for crunchy, dippable snacks too.

I hope you'll try it out, if not this week be sure to add it to your repertoire for next week's Meatless Monday!

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment