5.26.2010

Vegan in a tropical location?


So this past weekend I was visiting Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico with some girlfriends. It is about 40 minutes or so North of Puerto Vallarta. It is a quiet little town with some beachfront resorts that have started to pop up. My friends and I came here and stayed at the Villa La Estancia last year, and loved it so much that we came back this year. We stay in these large villas that have full kitchens, dining rooms, etc, so we are able to cook mostly for ourselves. We visited the grocery store and picked up everything necessary for 5 days in Mexico......including plentiful booze. What struck me was the availability of local (I am assuming), fresh produce. And I am pretty sure that this produce is available year round. Bananas, guavas, papayas, mango, pineapples, etc. Also, we had INCREDIBLE tomatoes and avocados. Round it out with fresh peppers, garlic, onions, cilantro, etc and that's all you need. So I've decided that it would be relatively easy to be vegan in a tropical location because of the produce at your fingertips. Everything is so fresh and so succulent, that it makes your mouth water.

I will say that on my vacation I did partake in eggs, ceviche, cheese, and shrimp. I did have a choice to not eat those things, but I guess I became a flexitarian in this situation. I am presuming (though I have no idea if it's true) that most of the food I ate came relatively local and was not a part of the factory farm system. So for my reasoning, that I was able to reconcile and be ok with. My only question was about tortillas. Are tortillas vegan? I am assuming they use some sort of lard or butter in them. I'll need to check that out.

Hope everyone has fun summer vacations coming up! -Foodie Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment