4.05.2010

real deal piccata

When I was an omni one of my favorite meals was Chicken Picatta. I remember my stepdad making it when I was a child and how unusual my love for lemon and capers was for a kid my age (I don't think my sisters cared for this dish at the time).

So last year, after months of being vegan and not thinking about meat dishes for a long time I remembered the capers, and the buttery lemon-white wine sauce, and the breaded goodness. It was time to give it a go, vegan style.

Note: Any friend of mine will tell you that I'm not a lover of the faux-meats (I'll try them at restaurants on occasion but I'm not thrilled with the idea of basing your vegan diet on them) therefore this recipe has no "odd" ingredients besides the nutritional yeast and the garbanzo flour. You should be able to find everything else at a regular market.

I came up with this recipe on my own so I'm pretty proud that it turned out so delicious and true to the original flavors. It's a very soulful and comforting meal, especially when served alongside mashed potatoes or fettuccine pasta.
Also, please keep in mind that the quantities are approximate. Trust your instincts more than the numbers on the recipe; if the sauce doesn't reduce enough just give it more time or add more cornstarch.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 block of Organic Tofu (I can't stress organic enough when it comes to soy products) sliced into long thin rectangles
  •  1 cup of flour combined with 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast and garbanzo flour respectively.
  • 3/4 cup of organic soy milk (unflavored, unsweetened) mixed with 2 tbsp of dijon mustard, salt & pepper
    finely chopped parsley (optional) (to add to milk/mustard mixture)
Sauce:
  • Juice from a fresh squeezed lemon (1/4 - 1/2 cup)
  • 1-2 small Shallots - sliced finely
  • 1/2 cup White Wine of choice (something you would actually drink)
  • Capers (as many as your heart desires)
  • Non-dairy 'butter' such as Earth Balance
  • 1/8 cup of vegetable broth or water
  • 1/2 tbsp of corn starch

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Place each piece of thin tofu in the milk/mustard bath and then into a bowl with the flour. Pat to coat on all sides and then transfer to a greased baking sheet.  Do this with all your slices and place in oven for 20 minutes. Be careful that they don't overcook & dry out.  You want them golden brown.

While the tofu is in the oven, heat butter in a skillet and add the shallots. Cook until transparent and then add the lemon juice and wine.  Let this mixture reduce for 10+ minutes. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch in the water until well-dissolved.  Add this to the heated reduction when half of the original juice/wine amount remains and throw the capers in the sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, place the golden tofu on a plate and drizzle liberally with the lemon wine sauce. 

Yum!

2 comments:

  1. yum!! i'm glad you posted it cuz i had already forgotten the recipe... i'll see how i go without an oven...yeaks!
    lots of love..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it all in a pan! Cooking the tofu in an oven is just to save time, but if you're patient just do it all in the same pan :)

    ReplyDelete