1.29.2010

Wildcard Friday!

I, like many, do encounter a few of the same questions/judgments over, and over, and over again in regards to veganism. And it all falls under the umbrella of the word “vegan” being an absolute. People seem to get angry, confused, or aloof if you say “I’m vegan, but sometimes I eat cheese, or “I’m vegan, but I eat honey”, or “I’m vegan in my dietary habits, but not in the clothes I wear, shoes I wear, cosmetics I use, etc”.

I just feel that using the “v-word” doesn’t have to be this strict absolute. In my book, it’s not like you have to be 100% vegan or you are not vegan at all. That is why we use the term “virtually vegan”. I also like to say I’m an “aspiring vegan”. I just want to be comfortable telling people that I have decided to live a life that is compassionate towards others as well as towards animals. It is a process and I feel like I am on the road/path to learning and bettering myself and the world around me. I don’t want to feel like I am getting chastised because someone saw me eat a cube of cheese. I want people to recognize the intention behind my actions and also to realize that people are human and that living a 100% black and white life where everything is in terms of absolutes is pretty unrealistic.

So I guess the moral of my story is that I think it is better if we all support each other and realize we are all on different paths, and to give each other encouragement towards making decisions that are the best for that person. We all do not need to be or deserve to be judged 100% of the time. Follow your heart and your mind. Do things you are proud of. And strive to make this world a little bit of a better place than the way you found it.

Happy Friday everyone! Have a safe, wonderful, and compassionate weekend!

I will be back next Wednesday blogging from NYC. Hopefully I will have a chance to try at least ONE vegan restaurant in the big city!

-Foodie Vegan

1 comment:

  1. i agree, labels are over-rated!!

    ...but how do you feel about being "vegan-sexual"?

    hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete