1.21.2010

i like it RAW

wow, anyone else weirded out by this insane weather in Southern California this week? With it being so wet and cold outside I've been rather lax on eating 'raw' but I have tried to eat at least one raw meal (or large portion of a meal) a day.
I'm taking a two part Raw "cooking" class which I will complete this upcoming Saturday*. It's been really fun learning how to prepare delicious and creative food without the use of heat.

So, today I want to share something that's completely new to me: Chia seeds! You can learn more about them here since I simply want to give you a recipe to get you to eat them and perhaps revamp your tired breakfast routine.

Unless you have a fruit-and-veg-packed smoothie every morning, this will be an improvement and hopefully give you lots of energy to charge through the day! If you like eating warm or cold cereal for breakfast this will be right up your alley.

Chia Pudding (single serving)
  • 2 tbsp of chia seeds
  • 1/2 - 1 tbsp of buckwheat (I know they don't inspire one to eat them raw, but believe me, they're delicious and pack a peanut-like flavor and crunch!)
  • 1/2 tbsp of hemp or flax seeds
  • 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk (I really like using unsweetened vanilla almond milk) or water (but that seems unappetizing)
  • anything else your little heart desires: diced apple, nuts, frozen or dried fruit, bananas, agave, whatever!
Combine the chia seeds, buckwheat and hemp/flax seeds in a bowl with a bit of the milk/liquid.  Let sit for a couple of minutes so that the chia seeds absorb the liquid.  Then add your other optional ingredients and more milk to achieve your desired consistency--the milk may be warmed (hey, that's still raw!) if you prefer a warmer breakfast.

I was shocked to learn that I liked this concoction. In fact, I love eating it. I ate oatmeal Tuesday and it left me totally uninspired, and yesterday I skipped breakfast altogether, which is why today I am committing myself to this nutritious, energizing, and yummy seed mix once and for all.

I hope you try it out (let me know how it goes) and that you're as pleasantly surprised with your first chia seed experience as I was!

peas and ch-ch-ch-chia**


*class is taught by the beautiful and talented Chef Alysha Maiorelli.
**yup, chia seeds as in chia pets, one of the gifts of the 90's that's still around (chia Obama, really?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment