12.02.2009



Hello everyone! SUCH a week it has been…..but a good one overall! I was in NY for Thanksgiving and for my boyfriend’s cousins bat mitzvah. What a fun time that was. I want to die and be reborn a Jewish kid! They get to have one crazy party for turning all of 13 years old! It was a 3 day affair…..and I can say that food was a MAJOR part of it all. I’d be lying if I said that I stuck to my vegan roots all weekend, but I think I did pretty well considering. My weaknesses were:

#1-the catered Thanksgiving dinner (all vegetarian, but not vegan). My fav dish was green beans sautéed with shallots and hazelnuts. I will test out a recipe this week and share next week.

#2-cocktail hour after the bat mitzvah with buffet stations, passed hors douvres, a 3 course meal, etc. And it didn’t help that I had approx 10 glasses of champagne! No, that’s not a typo……you heard me right….10 glasses! Needless to say, a couple mini grilled cheese sandwiches FELL in my mouth.

Anywho, this was my first major vacation since turning vegan, so I got to see the easy and the hard stuff one has to deal with living in a non-vegan society.

Some quick thoughts/funny moments from the weekend:

*Going to Smith and Wolensky (one of the most well-known steak houses in NYC) for dinner one night. I told my boyfriends Uncle (a jewish New Yorker in his late 60’s) that I was vegetarian and asked him for suggestions and he said “I know you’re a vegetarian, BUT you’ll LOVE their hamburger….it’s one of the best in the city”……ummm, no thanks. For the record, I did end up with a baked potato (with NON vegan toppings).

*Next week I will be sharing a recipe with everyone for a simple, easy bok choy salad that is TO DIE FOR. My boyfriend’s cousin shared it with us, and we are obsessed with it. It is super easy to make and very, very tasty.

*One thing that I learned this weekend (ok, lets face it….I knew it already) is that it is hard for me to make good vegan decisions when I am drunk, tipsy, and/or under the influence! That’s when you let your senses guide you and you get sucked in to “no bueno” food. Solution: Fill up a bit before your decision making skills are altered……better decisions are always made while sober!

*Yesterday morning in bed (did I forget to mention that I came home from NY sick) I had the opportunity to watch Earthlings. And I can say that it was one of the hardest, most heart-wrenching movies I have ever seen. Earthlings is a movie that talks about the exploitation of animals in 5 ways: pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and medical testing. I felt that it really, truly explained what it means to be vegan (though without using that word, interestingly enough) and to be compassionate towards animals. It was really eye opening to see how much people exploit animals in their every day lives ….in fact, it was shocking. So this movie made me realize that it’s not JUST about what we eat, but there are so many other changes we can make in our lives to be more compassionate to ALL Earthlings, including the animals in which we share this planet with. Peace and love for everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. "Humans, who enslave, castrate, experiment on, and fillet other animals - have had an understandable penchant for pretending animals do not feel pain. A sharp distinction between humans and 'animals' is essential if we are to bend them to our will, make them work for us, wear them, eat them - without any disquieting tinges of guilt or regret.

    "It is unseemly of us, who often behave so unfeelingly toward other animals, to contend that only humans can suffer. The behavior of other animals renders such pretensions specious. They are just too much like us."

    Dr Carl Sagan & Dr Ann Druyan
    Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, 1992

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post - I love this blog!! :) I just bought some leather boots the other day without thinking about it - it is very true that we are bombarded with messages that make us neglect the pain we are inflicting on animals. For me, a strong human rights advocate and animal lover, I draw connections between these messages that keep us ignorant/happy about animal abuse and the exploitation of other humans around the world. We don't think about who made our Nike shoes, and we don't think about how the leather in our belts or shoes was obtained. It all boils down to consumerism and corporate profit - driven by advertising. It's so culturally "normal" to eat meat that you really have to fight against the grain to stop. It's all about constant mindfulness and practicing consciousness of where your food (and other products!) comes from.

    ReplyDelete