12.17.2009

Foodie Vegan......in the nick of time!

So I didn't really make my Wednesdsay blog deadline......It just hit midnight.....dammit! Sorry faithful followers! Foodie Vegan had a busy day and had a dinner guest (to whom I served a vegan meal to!) tonight. My guest has left, dishes are washed, and I'm on the couch writing my blog as I watch the Food Network! I'll be honest with you all....I did not have a plan for my blog today....so I will just share with you some vegan tidbits from my week!!

Vegan Tidbit Numero Uno
-This week I had the pleasure of trying the Tofurkey Roast and Gravy. I found it as I was browsing the Trader Joes aisle (it was $9.99). It is a round Tofurkey roast that is stuffed with a wild rice dressing and comes with a "giblet" gravy. It was DELECTABLE and really tasted like Thanksgiving. I thought the flavors were authentic and interesting and made me reminisce for my old Thanksgiving meals. We served it with mashed potatoes and had a meal for 4 at about cost of about $12 total.

Vegan Tidbit Numero Dos
-Last week I promised to share with you a quinoa recipe that I tried. I found the recipe in the November issue of Better Nutrition magazine. I altered it a bit to make it vegan. I LOVED this......a great alternative to oatmeal.

1/3 cup of quinoa, rinsed
1 Tbsp organic honey (or agave nectar if you're 100% vegan)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup blueberries
1 banana, sliced
1/3 cup milk alternative

Combine quinoa and 2/3 cup of water in small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for about 12 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in honey and cinnamon, Divide between 2 bowls. Top with blueberries, banana, and milk.

Vegan Tidbit Numero Tres
-Tonight I had the fun task of having a dinner guest and having about 45 minutes total to plan and make the meal! I had to work with what I had on hand in the fridge/pantry. I boiled some edamame in the shells and sprinkled with sea salt as a light starter. And then I decided on pasta.....linguine in a light tomato sauce. The tidbit I will share with you that I discovered today was a little thing called "Trader Giotto's Italian Tomato Starter Sauce".....holy hell, that stuff is amazing. It can be purchased at Trader Joes for under $3 and is a good base for pretty much any pasta sauce, pizza sauce, etc. The ingredients are: chopped Italian tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh onion, and EVOO. I added a couple pressed cloves of garlic, a chopped green bell pepper, some red wine, basil/oregano/parsley, and salt/pepper. It was a perfect light sauce and I loved the consistency of the tomatoes.....I prefer it to most other canned diced tomatoes.....trust me, it's amazing. I highly recommend it!

I hope you enjoyed the vegan tidbits tonight! To me being a foodie can include rare and sometimes pricey ingredients and long, complicated recipes, but it can also include just plain good, wholesome, and cruelty free food that everyone loves! I like a good mix of both. Good night everyone......

1 comment:

  1. I've been using that sauce for a long time and it's pretty dern awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete