12.09.2009

2 GREAT vegan recipes



Happy hump day……....Foodie vegan here to share 2 GREAT recipes with you all this week. I have been sick for just over a week……and LUCKILY I had made a pot of three bean chili and non-dairy cornbread, so that tided me over for a few days. If I didn’t have that pot ‘o chili, I might have made some very bad food decisions! The rest of my week was pretty good….I have been in the cooking mood a lot and that greatly helps remind me why I want to be vegan. I get to eat great, tasty food that also adheres to my beliefs (being healthy, being good to the planet, and being compassionate to animals). Here are the long awaited recipes!

The first one is “Jill’s Famous Bok Choy Salad”. Now, I will say that I have no idea who Jill is!! We got this recipe in NY from my boyfriend’s cousin (I presume Jill is one of her friends). She has lost a ton of weight and is a busy mom of 2, so is always looking for easy, fast meals. We fell in love with this salad and demanded the recipe! The part we love is that the dressing and the “crunchies” can be made ahead of time so that the salad can be assembled in less than 5 minutes when hunger arises. Here is a wonderful picture of this delectable salad. I DARE you to try it…..you WILL lick the spoon! The bok choy salad is the second picture above. My tech-retarded self couldn't figure out how to insert the pictures within my post!

Jill’s Famous Bok Choy Salad

Dressing:
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c red wine vinegar
2 tbs of low sodium soy sauce
1/2 c sugar (can use less but more than 1/4 c needed)-I used ¼ cup and it was fine.

Boil all these ingredients. Let cool. Refrigerate.

Crunchies:
1/2 c Earth Balance or other butter substitute
3/4 c slivered almonds
2 tbs of sesame seeds
1-1/2 packages of broken ramen noodles (plain, throw away seasoning pkts

Melt butter, add and sauté slivered almonds, sesame seeds, and ramen noodles until lightly brown. Let cool and drain on paper towels. Store in Tupperware/Ziploc in the fridge.

Salad:
1 large bok choy, thinly chopped (including greens)
2-3 scallions, thinly sliced

Combine:
Salad, noodle mixture and dressing. ENJOY!!!

The next recipe I am going to share with you is one I whipped up myself after having some phenomenal green beans in NY for Thanksgiving…I tried to recreate them as best as possible. This is the first picture above!



Roasted Green Beans with Shallots

1 lb green beans (trimmed)
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
Zest of about ½ of a lemon

Preheat over to 425 degrees. Start by rinsing and trimming the green beans. I like to cut them in about 2” increments. Remove 4 cloves of garlic from their skins and smash them with the side of a knife. On a cookie sheet put the green beans, smashed garlic, thinly sliced shallot, salt/pepper, and olive oil. Mix together well and stick in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. When they come out of the oven, grate the lemon zest over them (gives them a nice fresh taste). I didn’t have any, but I think some small hazelnut pieces would taste delicious sprinkled on top! Bon Appetit!

How to turn this side dish into a main dish: I baked a potato, cut it open and put a little earth balance and put some green beans on top…..a very filling dinner!

I will see you all Friday for Wildcard day!

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to how tasty that salad is!!

    “When I see bacon, I see a pig, I see a little friend, and that’s why I can’t eat it. Simple as that.”
    –Paul McCartney

    ReplyDelete